[Coco] Why "TRS-80" Color Computer?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Jan 25 03:58:50 EST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 jimcox at miba51.com wrote:

> Does anyone know why Tandy/Radio Shack insisted on
> labeling virtually all Color Computer products "TRS-80
> Color Computer?"
>
> I always thought that TRS-80 was specifically for the Z-80
> based Model 1-3 (4, 16, ect...)
>
> Jim

Well, they did belatedly switch it to Tandy Color Computer partway through
the reign of the Color Computer 2.  In fact, you can tell a CoCo 2 that is
equipped with hardware lowercase by the fact that its label says Tandy
rather than Radio Shack.

I assume that the original use of TRS-80 was a misguided attempt to
exploit the popularity of the earlier Z-80 models by linking the CoCo to
them.

Art