[Coco] Wefax CoCo Program - (WAS) Disk Basic and 512 byte block floppies.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 24 23:19:00 EST 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 19:06, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In case anyone is interested, Marty made available a disk of Wefax
> with additions which I have (Source).
>
>I actually received transmissions from Pt. Reyes and have saved the
> Wefax screen pictures. Anyone want to look at them?
>
>> As I recall (and I never used the software, though I did see
>> examples of its output), you were supposed to open up the CoCo and
>> adjust a trimming capacitor (which acted as fine adjustment on
>> some aspect of the CoCo's timing) until the graphs came out
>> square, which meant your CoCo's timing was according to spec.  The
>> typical CoCo would be a little off unless adjusted.  This was
>> supposed to be a one-time adjustment.  Dunno how well this worked.
>>
>> Art
>
>There was a later program ($$$$$$) for the CoCo 3 which I never saw.
>
>The one in the Rainbow used one of the joysticks to adjust the
> picture from:          to:
>     XXXXX         XXXXX
>      XXXXX        XXXXX
>       XXXXX       XXXXX
>        XXXXX      XXXXX
> (View using mono spaced font please).
>
>It was not hard, the joystick was used as a bang bang controller,
> center to receive, way right to adjust (or way left?).
>
>> The one I ran was from the Rainbow article, but I've NDI (craft
>> thing) what issue it was in now.  And yes, it used a radio
>> transmission which may not even be being done today.  It would run
>> I'd imagine if a src signal could be found.
>
>From the Source, look at the early 1984 and late 1983 Rainbows for
> the article(s).
>
>* FACSIMILE RECEIVE PROGRAM.   *
>* THIS WILL RUN ON A 64K COLOR *
>* COMPUTER (TRS-80C) WITH      *
>* EXTENDED COLOR BASIC OR      *
>* DISK EXTENDED COLOR BASIC.   *
>* THE CASSETTE EAR PLUG (BLACK)*
>* SHOULD BE PLUGGED INTO THE   *
>* RADIO'S EARPHONE OUTPUT OR   *
>* CONNECTED ACROSS THE SPEAKER.*
>
>* LAST MODIFIED JULY 28, 1984. *

That almost seems to *somewhat* resemble my memory of it Stephen.
However, thats about a year too early as I didn't get my first coco
till late '85 IIRC.  I was still fooling with a TI-99/4a till then,
and getting very frustrated with the cost ($700 for the PEB expander
and one disk drive) of expanding it.  Was there a later article too?
And I don't recall that the version I had made use of the joystick
either.  Me, goes off scratching what little hair I have, trying to
dig up old memories...

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,