[Coco] Re: Off Topic - Mars Rover Software

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Wed Jan 21 11:02:33 EST 2004

On Jan 20, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Brad Grier wrote:

> One of the Viking landers operated on the surface of Mars from
> 1976-1983 (NASA mistakenly sent a bad command that turned the thing
> off). That's a long time - but I think it was powered by some kind of
> plutonium power generator (there were no solar panels). It's very
> difficult to get such generators off the ground these days.

These space based nuclear reactors are called RTGs (radio-thermal
generators).  The decay of the nuclear material causes them to get hot
and they use thermocouples to generate electricity from this
temperature difference.  They are light, provide a reasonable amount of
power for a fairly long time, and work anywhere, but the instruments of
the space craft have to be protected from the reactor, and unlike
conventional batteries, they decay at the same rate whether you use the
power or not.