[Coco] Re: Off Topic - Mars Rover Software

Brad Grier bradgrier at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 02:17:00 EST 2004

Arthur Flexser wrote:
> This is even more off topic, but what fuel does the Rover use?  If
> batteries, does it have to plug itself into the lander to recharge every
> once in a while?  Does it have solar panels?
>
> Art

It's powered by electricity from solar panels (which charge a battery).
Other than some unforeseen mechanical breakdown and wear on the
rechargeable battery, the life of the rover is limited to how long it
takes for enough martian dust to collect on the solar panels to
effectively cut off power. You'd think they could install some sort of
windshield wiper.

One of the Viking landers operated on the surface of Mars from 1976-1983
(NASA mistakenly sent a bad command that turned the thing off). That's a
long time - but I think it was powered by some kind of plutonium power
generator (there were no solar panels). It's very difficult to get such
generators off the ground these days.

Brad