[Coco] Looking for CoCo astronomy and space software.

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Jan 20 17:51:05 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/19/04 7:24:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alxevans at concentric.net writes:

> There is a confusing term.  Unfortunately todays Julian date can be
>  interpreted as 2453024 (the one you mean), 2004019, or 6 Jan 2004.
>  While (astronomical) Julian dates are the typical way of doing such
>  things, they are hardly the only way.  For example one could easily use
>  a 64-bit signed Unix date.

How about the Mayan Long Count Calendar, which uses several digits of
mixed-base (some base 20, some 18) and has as its zero point something like 3000 (or
30,000) BC, and would not have run out and rolled over until some similar
value in AD?

Just kidding, I wouldn't consider the mixed bases practical, but this
invention of the natives of the Yucatan, Mexico is really impressive.  --Mike K.