[Coco] Re: Disk Basic and 512 byte block floppies.

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Jan 19 21:35:30 EST 2004

At 12:17 PM 1/19/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>No, it will not!  Win XP can read 35/40 track floppies just
>fine, but they are 512-Byte sectors.  Also it not just the fact
>that the size of the sectors are different, there are other
>differences too.  Look at the Color Computer Disk manual
>Page 116.  The skip factor is different and you have to set
>up the FDC in XP to access coco type diskettes.  There
>are other factors involved too, but these are the main
>differences.  In Win XP you cannot change the way the
>FDC works unless you write a device driver.  Not only
>that, you must get a ok from Microsoft that your driver
>works correctly and then they will issue you a way to
>change the XP drivers.  If you don't get Microsoft's ok
>you cannot change the driver.  This is why I suggested

In XP, drivers can be verified by Microsoft or not verified.  If you're
talking about the "Continue Anyway?" prompt that pops up when you install
something that hasn't passed Microsoft's "testing" then you can still
install without their permission just by clicking "Yes".  :)
I also think that non-updated versions of XP (yes, there's a lot of
different minor versions), will probably throw that prompt at you more than
the latest updated version.  Most of it comes hard-coded into the system,
but then the online autoupdater probably adds to the list over time.