[Coco] Re: Disk Basic and 512 byte block floppies.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Jan 19 17:03:54 EST 2004

Bob Emery wrote:
> --- John Collyer <johncollyer at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>>No, it will not!  Win XP can read 35/40 track floppies just
>>fine, but they are 512-Byte sectors. [snip]
>
> Ah... this is where I was getting the geometry confused.
> They're still 40 tracks, just bigger sectors. We *can*
> achieve the same size, but with a higher track count
> and smaller sectors. Got it.

The COCO has 18 256 byte sectors per track, the PC has 9 512 byte
sectors per track.  So the capacity for a single sided disk with the
same number of tracks is the same.

>>that you look at the July 1986 issue of the Rainbow for
>>Marty Goodman's CoCo to MS-DOS utility.  It already
>>will write a single sided floppy correctly for MS-DOS and
>>this will be able to be read from Win XP.
>
> I hope I have that in my archives... haven't had a chance to
> look yet,

I do not now if I have that one in the boxes that I have not had a
chance to unpack.

Having the ability to support the FAT-12 (MS-DOS) file system is
something that might be nice to add down the road.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only