[Coco] Re: 6X09 -> HC11/HC12

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jan 16 11:29:24 EST 2004

Tim

The HC11 source is similar to the 6809. One major drawback on the HC11 is there
is no idirect index mode, and index mode is for the X and Y registers only, and
there is no auto increment/decrement of the pointer registers.

The HC12 and its corresponding CPU12, does allow indirect indexed mode of all
thepointer registers includeing the SP and PCR, and autoincrement/autodecrement
of the X, Y or SP registers. The auto increment and decrement can be between 1
and 8.

Despite the lack of the U regisiter the HC12 is a more likely candidate for the 6809.
The 6309 is more a candidate for the HC16. In the HC16 you have:

A — Accumulator A  (8bits)
B — Accumulator B (8bits)
D — Accumulator D (16 bits) A and B like the 6809
E — Accumulator E (16bits)
IX — Index register X (16 bits)
IY — Index register Y (16 bits)
IZ — Index register Z (16 bits)
SP — Stack pointer (16 bits)
PC — Program counter (16 bits)
K — Address extension register (16 bits) accessed as four nibbles
    EK — Extended addressing extension field
    XK — Index register X extension field
    YK — Index register Y extension field
    ZK — Index register Z extension field
PK — Program counter extension field (part of the 16 bit CCR)
SK — Stack pointer extension register

Multiply and Accumalte registers (MAC)

SL — Multiply and accumulate sign latch (1bit)
XMSK — Modulo addressing index register X mask (16 bits)
YMSK — Modulo addressing index register Y mask (16 bits)
AM — Accumulator M (36 bits in two sections; bits 0 :15 and 16:35))
CCR — Condition code register (16 bits; 12 bits CCR and four bits are the PK field)
IR — Multiply and accumulate multiplicand register (16 bit)
HR — Multiply and accumulate multiplier register (16 bit)

The HC16 programming model is and commands are a blend of the HC11 and the
68K. Also some of the adressing modes similar to the 6809.

Caution of the HC16. It is not one of the Motorola polular microcontrollers and the
two or three flavors that would be useful here are now in end of life mode. The :

HC16Z1 Romless and General Purpose Timer Unit(GPT)
HC916X1 Same as HC16Z1 with 48K of Flash mapable on 64K boundaries
HC916Y1 48K internal flash mapable on any 64K boundary and TPU in stead of
GPT
HC916Y3 Similar to the Y1 but with 96K of flash.

All the flash versions are now obsolete. The masked rom version will most likely be
next.

james