[OT] [Long] [Inflammatory] Re: [Coco] Jingo - Jango - Mars

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Fri Jan 16 02:39:00 EST 2004

>Your guns were supposed to protect you against the government, if I read
>those early papers correctly.

Well, basically the idea was that if the people were armed you would be a
citizen, not a 'subject,' and the government would have to give you some
modicum of respect. Also, if the government became unresponsive to the
people, you would have a means to remove them and restore a government
that would answer to the people. Actually, if the government were to
stray too far, it really is susposed to be your duty as a citizen to take
up arms and set it right (obviously after all else has failed.) If the
founding fathers could see what has become of the US government they'd
cringe. Like all political systems, it depends on the people in power
upholding certain principles, etc. but we all know the opposite actually
happens. If you read the federalist papers, etc you can really see how
far we've strayed from the original vision.

>After I lived outside the US, I realized how little we're told, and how your
guns won't
> mean a thing when they really do come for you.

Ilived in europe (Germany) for a while, and they had much better news
about what was going on around the world than you find in the US. As for
guns not helping, it would make a big difference if the people actually
stood together (fat chance, but the original intent of the founders), but
as it stands in most places today you're probaby right. If you're a good
shot you could go out in style, so to speak, but I wouldn't count on any
help from your neighbors. I doubt if most people would lift one finger
even if a persident declared himself 'king' and locked down the country
like a prison.

Dean