[Coco] Jingo - Jango - Mars

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Jan 15 23:05:44 EST 2004

On Jan 15, 2004, at 9:35 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 11:51 AM 1/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>> Now theres a thought.  I've been told that for a while at least, the
>> shuttle computers were 6809 machines running os9.  Can anyone
>> confirm/deny that?
>
> Oh, "GIME" a break.

<lol>

> That stemmed probably from a short comment somewhere about some form
> of OS-9 being used somewhere on the shuttle, and I have never even
> found proof in any of it.  The shuttle is loaded with high-speed
> computer equipment, and I highly doubt are beloved 6809 plays any
> major response-intensive role.  If OS-9 ran the coffeemaker, I would
> be totally surprised.

Consider that the Shuttle is a late 1970s early 1980s design.    I have
never heard anything dependable about the shuttle using OS-9, but it
did (whether it still does or not is another question) use three
redundant 6809 based systems for its flight computer.  The B-1's
systems were designed around IIRC eight 6809 based computers.