[Coco] off-topic, space program

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 17:14:46 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 16:13, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>John
>
>since I have a puny K6-2 at 3450 MHz and I have only been running
> the screen saver for about two month. I had a crash when I was 97%
> through the first unit and started over.

That frequency has to be a typo, James.  No K6-II ever went faster
than about 550 mhz and lived unless running in liquid nitrogen.  My
firewall has a 450 mhz rated K6-III in it that will run at 650 for
about 3 minutes, 600 for about half an hour, 550 for about a week,
and 500 forever.  And its the last die run AMD made for those, one
more shrink past the end of the K6-II's.

>What does help is I leave the computer on for about 10 to 15 hrs per
> day and am away from it for up to five or six hours at a time.
>
>So I am not so worried about how many units I run, just to help out
> some.
>
>james

I think we all agree on that.  The project certainly could not afford
to throw the numbers of machines at that mountain of data if we
didn't do it.  It after all, did take us almost 5 years to actaully
catch up to the point where we're only working on 3-6 month old data.

Humm, I wonder how long it would take a coco3 to do one unit of data?
There was at one time, some code for the butterfly transform published
in one of the rags, written in pascal, which is one language I never
was able to get my mind around, too much C, Basic09 and asm I guess.
But it sure would be neat to try...

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,