[Coco] Re: off-topic, space program

Brad Grier bradgrier at cox.net
Wed Jan 14 17:59:52 EST 2004

Roger Taylor wrote:
> This new spacecraft project sounds a whole lot like an indirect
> statement that they are replacing the unstable/faulty shuttles that keep
> blowing up and killing humans.
>
> Ok, I'm 35... and it looks like NASA will make sure we have a man on
> Mars no earlier than 2030, when I will be 61.  I'm not impressed.  I'm
> also not impressed over the 2020 date for the next moon mission.  I
> guess this is my old Star Trek inner-child wanting to see something
> happen while I'm still alive, but it looks like my future great
> grandkids might get to see a few rocks come back from the moon or Mars.
> If I get to see a man step foot on Mars, I will have lived; then they
> can do whatever they want after that. :)

> Roger Taylor

Mars has been a source of fascination for me since I saw the first
Viking lander images. I completely agree with your sentiments.  Thirty
years is a long time to wait. Twenty years to return man to the moon
seems a little ridiculous considering we accomplished that feat once
before in a much shorter time period with more primitive technology.

$87 billion could have easily put us on Mars in a decade but that's
another story for another off-topic thread.

Brad