[Coco] dskini.exe problems

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Jan 13 00:30:19 EST 2004

tisk tisk tisk...  please don't stay up late on this one!  Windows XP and
several other modern versions of Windows will not let you do this.  You can
boot with MS-DOS or a Windows startup disk, and it will work, but not from
Windows, or a console prompt.

>I've been upset about this for years now.  You can comb the web turning up
>lots of complaints, but no solutions.  The MS web site even gives a false
>reason for why you can't access non PC disks, saying that there's a sector
>byte that is incorrect, causing Windows to ignore the disk since it's not
>a modern Windows-created floppy.  If this is the case, then all CoCo disks
>have to be temporarily altered to trick Windows into thinking it's a PC
>disk?  Hogwash.
>
>I posted a web site link a month ago to a small company that claims to
>have an OS-9 transfer system for the PC that *does* read and write non-PC
>floppies under XP and all other versions of Windows.  I'm sure these guys
>won't ever reveal their source code or offer their drivers for free, so
>I've given up for now and I just drop to DOS when moving .dsks
>around.  Or, I can use my 98SE laptop to read/write 3.5" DD CoCo floppies.

I want to add to this and mention that the MSN.com news just said that
support for 98, 98SE and ME will be extended until June 30, 2006.