[Coco] Re: dskini.exe problems

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Jan 12 23:56:12 EST 2004

Boisy Pitre wrote:
> I'm using a Shuttle motherboard running the latest Windows XP.  In a
> Command Prompt window, any DSKINI command just sits there trying to
> write the first sector of the virtual disk to drive A: (a 1.44MB
> floppy).  The BIOS is set up properly, and I can read FAT16 diskettes,
> so I'm wondering, does DSKINI.EXE have compatibility issues with some of
> these floppy controllers built into these condensed Super I/O chips?
>
> I would sure like to get this to work.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Boisy,

The hardware can read the COCO formatted floppies just fine.

Microsoft has removed the API for changing the sector size.

It would probably be more usefull to provide a way for COCOs under disk
basic or OS-9 or FLEX-09 to be able to write to 512 byte sectored media.

If you want to persue a Windows based program, look for the source for
RAWRITE_WIN.EXE that is used to write LINUX boot floppies on a Microsoft
  Windows system.

It contains a DLL to directly access the floppy drive.  It may be
possible to use that information to write a DLL that will allow changing
the sector size.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only