[Coco] The silient night

Perry M Dueck pmdueck at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 11 12:22:06 EST 2004

>From: Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org>
>Subject: Re: [Coco] The silient night
>I spent friday night reading a pair of books I bought in the late
>'80s.  They're from the Micro Adventure series.  Book 8, The Big
>Freeze, and Book 9, Dead Ringer.  Anyone else ever hear of these?
>They're sort of like a "choose your own adventure" book, written in
>second person ("You do this.  You do that.") except there's only one
>path through the book.
>What makes this interesting is the BASIC programs in the book that
>you're supposed to type in, run, and in some cases alter, as "You" go
>through the book.

Hey, that sounds awefully familiar. I seem to recall borrowing a book from
the school library back in 1986....I think it must have been one of those
Micro Adventure series books.

Anyways, at the time I had a 5K Commodore VIC-20, which I had just
purchased used (my first computer!) and was reading one of those books and
typing in those programs from the book. The book I borrowed had something
about a Cyclops, if I remember correctly.

On a side note, I remember whenever I turned on that VIC-20, the color TV
set upstairs would receive all kinds of interference (and my computer and
black/white TV set it was hooked up to was in the basement). I always had
to alot my computing time in such a way that it wouldn't interfere with
other family members' television watching time. That all changed a year
later when I got a CoCo 3 and CM-8 Monitor (no more interference), but was
dismayed to find out that all those cool CoCo 1 and 2 games showed up in
black & white (PMODE 4 graphics) on the CM-8. Tandy really should have
included composite video input on the CM-8!!!!!!!