[Coco] Coco 4

peak at mail.polarcomm.com peak at mail.polarcomm.com
Wed Jan 7 15:29:31 EST 2004

Yep
Burke's cocoxt did "interface" to an ISA HD controller card.
However, I was thinking of a more general ISA bus.
Now, of course we cant really squeeze all of a PC's 1Meg
memory plus it's 64k I/O into a coco's address space but
since a lot of those ISA cards only used about 4each port for
one function we CAN fit some of them.
Coco's SCS gives us 32 bytes to play with. 32 divided by 4
would give us 8 4-port devices. Also some of the ISA
controller cards used 8k memory for HD BIOS. So the only
thing we have to do is "Re-Map" the memory and I/O addresses
into cocos CTS(memory) and SCS(I/O) spaces. This would be
easier if there was a real standard for I/O ports on a PC.
The sort-of Defacto standards will just have to be sufficient
and any ISA cards which we use will need to be examined to
determine thier port addresses. If anyone knows of an ISA bus
multifunction card with HD,FD,Parralell,2 serial or so please
let me know. We should probably take a look at several
different ones and come to a general consensus about what
ports to use for what!