[Coco] Coco 4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 16:33:24 EST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 15:18, jadonaldson at charter.net wrote:
>  If you look at the Burk & Burk interface, it interfaced
>to 8 bit ISA Hard Drive interfaces.
>
>John Donaldson

If you reverse engineer that one, use a later version as the sample.
My very early one must have had a timing problem or something with
resulted in an access of the fat returning a sector that was zeroed
out.  As you can imagine, thats what led to my relative expertise
with the os9 file system, I was always re-constructing something from
scratch after a disk write.

I now have a several years later, gold colored version that has been
absolutely, totally bulletproof.  At one point in my testing of that
one, I had a cron job that formatted a 10 meg tandon and dircopied
what was on it to a 20 meg st-225 on even nights, and reversed it on
odd nights, each time running a dcheck against the new copy.  I let
it run for a couple of weeks, until the night crew started
complaining about the squeaky ground spring on the end of the tandons
drive spindle.

Toward the end, that system only existed to support the "edisk" I'd
written for the Grass Valley 300 switcher we had, so it didn't get
much use.  We had far more trouble with aging chips in the switcher
than with that coco2.  That thing was designed at about the time the
semi folks were first learning about the purple plague that attacks
early nmos and pmos stuff.  Specialty chips, apparently made in small
qty's just for Grass, were dying like flies.  So were Grasses own
inhouse built ceramic hybrids, many of which could be simplified to
an op-amp that National Semi would have classified as "Damn fast"
with gain/bandwidth products in excess of a gigahertz, and which when
the legs were steered to the right holes in the pcb, easily
outperformed the hundred bucks plus a copy Grass devices with a
sample that could be had from Newark et all for $1.70 in 25'sies...

I guess it could be for sale, somebody should make me an offer,
although I think the tandon needs a bump to start it these days.  The
drives are mounted in an old pc power supply shelf and running from
that power supply IIRC.  That would be the later B&B controller, all
the cables I was using, the two drives and psu shelf they are sitting
in.  No fancy case for the drives in other words.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M