[Coco] Re: [Long] [OT] That Big Shadow Over Your Shoulder, Part 1,

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Sun Feb 29 21:27:17 EST 2004

At 08:20 PM 2/29/04 -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>I think that the later versions of WordPerfect can produce documents in
>at least one Microsoft Word format.  Open Office is also supposed to be
>able to do so.

I think my question is whether these other programs can be used for
collaboration, as businesses do with MSWord.

When I get an MSWord document as a co-author or editor, it contains the
owner and document information, the list of previous editors by initials,
attributed corrections, editorial notes, and marginal notes ('post it'
comments). It has various password protections to keep the original editing
visible as it makes the route through contributors. And probably other
features I've forgotten.

It's more than merely reading and writing the format, it's maintaining all
the contents, present and previous, that's just as important. Lose those
and my head is on the platter of my editor, just before I'm fired. :)

Dennis