[Coco] Re: [Long] [OT] That Big Shadow Over Your Shoulder, Part 1,

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Feb 29 21:16:45 EST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 3:20 PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> I think that the later versions of WordPerfect can produce documents
> in at least one Microsoft Word format.  Open Office is also supposed
> to be able to do so.

OpenOffice and StarOffice both can produce (and read) Word files.

> The main difference is that with PDF, Adobe is willing to let others
> know how to read or generate it.  Even with that, it is does take
> quite a bit of work to make a PDF viewer.  Adobe produced a JAVA pdf
> viewer, but it only works with Mac, because it depends on a Mac
> proprietary java class.
>
> So if Adobe does not produce a native viewer for a platform, xpdf is
> about the only alternative.

Ghostscript also has PDF support.

>> And, you know, the compromises on quality have been fewer
>> than their opponents would lead us to believe. Put any other operating
>> system -- any other one -- in 95% of the world's personal computers,
>> and
>> see if productivity and enjoyment stay even close to where they are.

If any other OS were in 95% of the computers, the support that is
missing would be there.  I am sure that productivity and enjoyment
would be higher not lower than with Windows.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?