[Coco] Re: OS Vulnerabilities

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 19:05:43 EST 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 03:26 pm, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> UNIX came from an environment were it was designed primarily for
> embedded process control, and development of such.

That is very far from the case.  Unix was originally designed to (1)
support a space travel simulation game and (2) support text processing
for Bell Lab's patent department.  Embedding Unix has always been a
kluge, as traditional kernels have never been really interupt-driven.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net    http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

"And I don't like the idea of going _anywhere_ near the gods.  We're
like toys to them, you know."  _And they don't realise how easily the
arms and legs come off_, he added to himself.
                                Terry Pratchet, _The Last Hero_