[Coco] Re: OS Vulnerabilities

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sat Feb 28 16:07:00 EST 2004

John E. Malmberg wrote:

>> And Again, John; who still uses VMS?
>

> Most semiconductor manufacturing.
>
> About 1/2 the major stock exchanges, most of the rest use Tandem.
>
> Hospitals, banks, military, railroads, customs, genealogy, video rental
> tracking, music industry.  Manufacturing automation, Real estate MLS
> listings, payroll outsourcing companies, insurance, 911 systems,
> wireless phone billing, lotteries, and there are probably quite a few
> that I do not know about.
>
> It mainly is a back end industrial server these days, but there are some
> people people that are needing some extreme graphics on it, I do not
> know what those applications are.
>
> In areas where downtime is measured in multiples of $1000 per minute, it
> has a strong niche with all competing solutions costing many times more.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

John~

Pretty much the Same people who used it in the 90's.  I once interviewed
  for a System Admin job with a Semiconductor company that was still
using RSX-11.  This was in the early 90's.  I asked them, since I was
too young to have used it, what made them pull my resume.  I was
pleasantly surprised at the similarities as I was shown a brief look at
the OS.  Also as the Dec-11's were down and waiting for replacements,
one of the IT GURU's wrote a version of MUMPS for the Amiga, so the
equipment attached could still run.  I was pretty amazed.

I once worked for a Security system company that it's flagship product
was on VMS with Macintosh Clients.  They used the Vaxes for fault
torrence.  I am surprised that Stratus's hardware didn't go too far in
this area.

I know in the 80's that the Ohio Turnpike was driven by VMS,  Every toll
was instantly tracked in their account software.  Just wondering how big
it still is, since I haven't seen much call for it lately and DEC's
demise and Compaq's ability to screw up a simple PC.  (my humble
opinion).  Also HP has to compete with itself with HP-UX.

~David Hazelton