[Coco] Internet practices (was: I'm back)

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Tue Feb 17 22:24:07 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:18:30 -0600
  Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:
>SNIP! :)
>With the help of his money and the knowledge of everybody
>who helped him, he now owns one of the biggest ISPs in
>North Louisiana and still growing.  Ofcourse, now he
>doesn't know me.  Attempts to contact him result in "I'll
>get back with ya's", etc. so I gave up on the idiot.
>  Also, one of my web clients told me that Bayou's
>techies admitted that dial-up customers are a loss of
>money now and they are trained to push the broadband
>connections, therefore dial-up customers are considered
>to be "slow minded people" by the entire Bayou.com crew.

Roger:

That was also the opinion of the senior techs of the ISP
that I worked at for a short time.  I actually hear people
being told to upgrade their OS because "we don't support
that application any more" and what was bad about it was
that the client was an elderly lady who had difficulty
working the computer.  That and several other examples of
customer cruelty were one of the reasons I left (plus I
got a 50% increase in pay going to the place I am at now)
 Both sales and management like the attitude and empathy I
had towards customer, but since I was a lower tier tech
and right out of IT boot camp, I was lower than whale $H!T
in the eyes of most of the techs there, which sucked
considering I have been a electronics tech longer than
half of them have been alive.  I noticed most younger
people have less tolerance for what they people they think
are not as tech savie as they.  Wait until they get to be
our age and have to have some punk explain to them how to
configure their 100TB optical storage system :)

Jim Cox
AIM, YIM, ICQ, resident. Drop me a note if you want to
chat.

"Well boys I reckon this is it.  Nuclear combat, toe to
toe with the Ruskies"  Maj. Kong, USAF