[Coco] Re: I'm back

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Feb 15 23:04:19 EST 2004

At 05:53 PM 2/15/2004 -1000, you wrote:
>On Feb 15, 2004, at 5:30 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>This is one reason that the internet has not really become the "internet"
>>yet.  When folks tell us we can't serve content, yet our download quota
>>is through the roof (can download a 699meg DivX movie every 6 hours or
>>so, for example), then their purpose really has no purpose.  Most
>>broadband companies will even slow your data rate down to a snail's speed
>>if you go beyond the download traffic limit, yet you're not allowed to
>>even serve a single 64k file via FTP or perhaps have a telnet connection
>>to your computer?  And you usually don't get to see this upfront and if
>>you do it's on the last page in very small print.
>>
>>But getting to your response to Boisy about why he was having trouble, I
>>trust that he knows what he's talking about.  Nothing in his announcement
>>made me want to go study the customer policy book to see if he was wrong
>>or to put him on the spot.  :)  Anyway, you gave a pretty good tutorial
>>for the rest of the group who might not know what goes on behind the
>>scenes with greedy ISPs.  We're all customers of one, so it's nice to
>>know more of the truth.
>
>If you look at the very earliest RFCs you will notice that machines on the
>net are supposed to support at least the three core services: TELNET, FTP,
>and Mail.  While given the current configuration of the net for individual
>users using centralized mail servers for mail is a satisfactory solution,
>the other two (TELNET in particular, to include all its various
>descendants) don't have good solutions available without your system being
>a server.
>
>Doesn't it seem a little silly that I can interact on a p2p network such
>as Kazaa without violating these user agreements, but I can't have a small
>FTP site.
>
>--
>Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?

That's true.  There's a lot of ways to serve content or upload data to
others.  These greedy policies seem to be designed to increase revenues by
giving the company many ways to penalize the customer based on *common
mistakes* and very quickly tack an extra $5 to $25 onto their bill on a
whim.  In my opinion, all types of communication companys seem to be
getting their ideas from the same pool of greedy ideas.  Cable companies,
satelite dish tv, ISPs, the telephone company, celphone companies, etc.  I
could go on and on, but those are what we use the most so they're going to
screw us, you can bank on it.  Don't be a day late on your payment, and
don't go a minute over your quota, but You're more than welcome to still be
our customer even after you're punished for being our customer.  Your
pocket book is ours.  :)  How they sleep at night.  I do not know.

Roger Taylor