[Coco] Re: I'm back

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Feb 15 22:53:53 EST 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, at 5:30 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> This is one reason that the internet has not really become the
> "internet" yet.  When folks tell us we can't serve content, yet our
> download quota is through the roof (can download a 699meg DivX movie
> every 6 hours or so, for example), then their purpose really has no
> purpose.  Most broadband companies will even slow your data rate down
> to a snail's speed if you go beyond the download traffic limit, yet
> you're not allowed to even serve a single 64k file via FTP or perhaps
> have a telnet connection to your computer?  And you usually don't get
> to see this upfront and if you do it's on the last page in very small
> print.
>
> But getting to your response to Boisy about why he was having trouble,
> I trust that he knows what he's talking about.  Nothing in his
> announcement made me want to go study the customer policy book to see
> if he was wrong or to put him on the spot.  :)  Anyway, you gave a
> pretty good tutorial for the rest of the group who might not know what
> goes on behind the scenes with greedy ISPs.  We're all customers of
> one, so it's nice to know more of the truth.

If you look at the very earliest RFCs you will notice that machines on
the net are supposed to support at least the three core services:
TELNET, FTP, and Mail.  While given the current configuration of the
net for individual users using centralized mail servers for mail is a
satisfactory solution, the other two (TELNET in particular, to include
all its various descendants) don't have good solutions available
without your system being a server.

Doesn't it seem a little silly that I can interact on a p2p network
such as Kazaa without violating these user agreements, but I can't have
a small FTP site.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?