[Coco] Re: Build a list of ISP's that carry UseNet Bit.Listserv.CoCo

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 14:19:01 EST 2004

John E. Malmberg wrote:

> BradleyJ2 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but on AOL the old CoCo
>> newsgroup has not had *any* (not even SPAM) new messages since around
>> 1-28-04. And I was still subscribed to the list thru Princeton...And
>> about that same time all the SPAM from there stopped as well.
>

> Apparently as of Feb 1, 2004, the coco list at Princeton was put on
> pause, and is auto-acking all posters that their messages will
> eventually be delivered.
>
> All of that has been previously posted here.
>
> Presumably anyone who's identity has been stolen by a virus or a
> spammer is getting those auto-acks.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

Ah, that explains the mystery.  By coincidence, I got a bug in my
computer during that time frame and had three days down time
troubleshooting and, finally reformatting and applying a recent (thank
God) backup.  When I got back online there was no more Princeton
listing.  What really made it confusing was that Maltedmedia traffic was
also low.

The computer acted like a virus had attacked it, but I doubt it since I
run Netscape 7.0.2 on Mac OS 9.1.   Nobody bothers with that.  The best
explanation I could come up with was that a fragmented file in the OS
ended up on a bad sector.  Every time I repaired the file system, it
would work for a while then corrupt itself again.  Tried to isolate the
offending file with no luck.  Finally ran a surface scan validation and
repair on the HD which corrected some problems, but created a permanent
Extent File error, hence my reasoning.  Nothing worked right after that.
 Still have one "bug" after the backup.  A downloaded archive will
expand via Stuffit, then automatically route itself into System Folder:
Extensions:Microsoft Library unless specifically told not to.  Sounds
like a BGOB (Bill Gates Ordered Bug). LOL

Griz