[Coco] Getting /R0 to format quickly (was RE: ~something)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 7 08:38:36 EST 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:

><snip>
> Now thats a neat trick.  It could even be usefull for a floppy thats
> intended to be used with backup, or would that trigger backups
> "unequal  disks" check and exit?  If it worked, that would save some
> time by just doing the physical format.  OTOH, ISTR the fat is not
> written until the verify has been done, so such a disk would not be
> usable except as a 'backup' target, which would overwrite the fat
> anyway, with a known good one.
>
> I'll have to waste a disk and find out. :)

Just ran a test. Every attempt on my system to format a floppy as a hard
drive where both physical and logical are requested but physical verify
was not has hung up. However, if the disk was preformatted on a Coco and
then formatted as a hard drive, logical only, no verify; it did work.

The resulting disk did not seem any different from a normal floppy, so
Backup should work.