[Coco] Getting /R0 to format quickly (was RE: ~something)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 8 06:48:54 EST 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 02:44, Paul T. Barton wrote:
>--- Mark Marlette <mmarlett at isd.net> wrote:
>> At 10:14 PM 2/6/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> So you are saying that the reason for
>> the crash is because the refresh is
>> in all banks of DRAM? I hope so since
>> it is DRAM.  ?????
>
>Mark,
>
>nonono :) I had rebooted, started a format,
>^C'd it to stop the format, by then about
>3 or 4 lines of numbers had gone by. So,
>I guess that the main directory had
>been trashed, that's all.
>
>Since I use script files to do all the
>work, sometimes it's hard to stop the
>process. Mostly I use ^C but if that
>doesn't seem to work, then a ^E usually
>stops the script file's progress.
>
>> No refresh......poof, no memory.
>
>Sorry my mistake, refresh is happening
>always, in all banks of RAM
>(CAS before RAS).
>The memory chips that are on the
>sticks accept this kind of refresh
>and internally auto increment their
>own counter, slick! Theses are hand-
>picked memory sticks.
>
>> Am I missing something????
>
>No Mark, you're on the ball!
>--snipped--

>New Topic:
>
>Robert,
>I got /r0 to format without the numbers
>going by, changed dmode'ing TYP=80, now
>FORMAT thinks it's a hard-drive and asks
>the proper questions (which I reply
>no to).
>
>Paul

Now thats a neat trick.  It could even be usefull for a floppy thats
intended to be used with backup, or would that trigger backups
"unequal  disks" check and exit?  If it worked, that would save some
time by just doing the physical format.  OTOH, ISTR the fat is not
written until the verify has been done, so such a disk would not be
usable except as a 'backup' target, which would overwrite the fat
anyway, with a known good one.

I'll have to waste a disk and find out. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)