[Coco] Re: Thanks for the Princeton Bit.Listserv.CoCo Mail List. DRAFT

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Feb 3 00:41:50 EST 2004

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> The gateway from Usenet needs to be investigated to make sure that no SPAM
> can get in that way. The SPAM posted to Usenet CoCo newsgroup is not under
> the control of the listserver, there is no method to stop it from being
> posted, but it can be kept out of the mailing list. It will have to wait
> until the problem is solved Internet wide. I have heard a promise about
> e-mail by 2006 but no words about newsgroups.

You have the facts wrong.

The spam is coming from the mailing list server input, not from the
newsgroup.

If the princeton mail server shuts down, or the link from it to
bit.listserv.coco is broken, 99.999% of the spam in the newsgroup will
stop immediately.

There are less than 5 spam postings per year in bit.listserv.coco that
did not originate from the Princeton mail server.

For several years, I reported all the spam that came in through
spamcop.net and checked where the spam was coming from, so I know what I
am writing about.

If you look from the newsgroup postings that may not be evident until
you look to see the posting address.  If it is "dex.pathlink", then the
posting came from the mailing list.  If that text is missing, it came
from the newsgroup.

You will be hard pressed to find any spam with that text missing.

 From the mailing list, the same text is present in the header.  When
looking at the headers of mail received from the Princeton mailing list,
you will almost never see "dex.pathlink" present in spam.  You will
likely have to look for almost a year of archives to find a spam posting
that originated from the newsgroup.

 From a content filter perspective, on the mailing list, you can
whitelist with no further checks if "dex.pathlink" is present.

And from content filtering from the newsgroup, you can whitelist all
postings where "dex.pathlink" is missing.

The princeton mail server is the listserver, and is effectively acting
as an open relay for known spam sources.  The listserver has total
control of the spam, and should be easily be set to eliminate it.

The SpamAssassin settings for the Princeton mail server are incorrect.
They are not using the proper metrics and as a result are incorrectly
flagging real posts as spam.  So the tagging that they are doing can not
be used by end users with out losing real posts.  This should be
extremely easy to fix.  But that fix would still let through the recent
forged subscriptions as most of them are not from previously identified
spam sources.

The gateway software to the newsgroup is also slightly defective.  It is
not properly reporting the source of the mail messages as it should be.
  Instead of the source address, it is putting a random address from the
mail posting.  If it were posting the correct source I.P., then almost
all of the spam could be separated from the real postings with out
looking at the content.

With out the troll's subscriptions, all the spam that is coming into the
Princeton mail server is coming from known compromised computers, or
from known professional spam operations.  And at least 99% or more of it
can be removed from the princeton mail server with a simple change to
the mail server that will not cause any real postings or real e-mail to
be affected.

Any mail server that is accepting e-mail from known open proxies is
going to get the same spam that the princeton list is getting.  It is a
waste of CPU cycles, bandwidth and disk space to accept e-mail from a
known open proxy.

Princeton is rejecting spam from open relays.  The difference between an
open relay and an open proxy, from a mail server perspective is that an
open relay might send a real e-mail once in a while, while the chance of
an open proxy sending something other than spam is virtually NILL.

So any mail server that is rejecting spam from open relays, really has
no excuse to be accepting spam from open proxies, except for ignorance
by it's management.

Roger Taylor wrote:
 > I really think that someone from the list actually did attack the
 > list, probably more than one person, after some real heated battles
 > were going on.

There is no evidence to support this.  The same spam is hitting all mail
servers that accept e-mail from known compromised machines, or from
machines known to be owned by spammers.

The xbl.spamhaus.org will block most of these with out blocking any real
e-mail.  The sbl.spamhaus.org will block the professional spam gangs.

The xbl.spamhaus.org has been operating as cbl.abuseat.org for over a
year, and there has been zero reports on any forum that I monitor of any
real e-mails being blocked by it.

All users have reported a significant and reliable reduction in spam.

But it is clear from analysis of the spam that was infecting the
Princeton list before July 2003, that it was not any higher than the
spam attempting to be delivered to all networks.

 >  There were a lot of porn messages that started coming in that said
 > the Princeton list was subscribed.

That is a standard lie that the spam contains.  Almost all spam says
that.  If anybody clicks on the unsubscribe list, it either does
nothing, or just signs up what ever address that was being unsubscribed
with more spam.

Anyone that was attempting to unsubscribe the Princeton list from the
porn spammers was really just signing it up for more spam.

The FTC issued a warning about that a few years ago.

It is quite clear that until the troll attacked the Princeton mail list,
the only spam that was on it was because Princeton is not up to date
with keeping spam out of mail servers.

The stats on the spam sources of the Princeton mailing list before the
troll matched the stats from other measuring points on the web on the
amount of spam their domains were rejecting.  And that basically proves
that no member of the list before this summer deliberately caused any
spam to be sent to it.

The spam was coming in through poor mail server management, nothing more
sinister than that.  And easily corrected.

But as we have no official standing with Princeton, we can not request
that they start operating their mail server or even the mailing list in
a way that reliably keeps the spam out with out blocking real e-mail.

The way they are doing it now is needlessly increasing their expense,
which will cause them to have to cut back in other areas, or increase
tuition, beg for more donations.

But lets put it to rest, that when the spam started, it was not because
someone attacked the list.

The first wave of spam was from Korea passing a pro-spam law similar to
the one that the U.S. Congress just passed, and the response of the
Korean spammers resulted in almost every mail server in the world stop
accepting any e-mail from Korea.  Korea has changed their law, and now
has jail terms for spamming, as a result, most of the Korean spam is
gone.  There are a few rogue Korean ISPs left, but the bulk is gone.

The second and subsequent waves of spam was from open proxies that are
apparently installed by viruses like the SOBIG.  These spam sources are
reliably identified by resources like the xbl.spamhaus.org and other
open proxy lists with in a few minutes of their spam runs.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only