[Coco] New Mocha Features

Brad Grier bradgrier at cox.net
Fri Feb 27 22:43:42 EST 2004

Hello,

I thought I'd let everyone know about the latest features in Mocha.

The signed applet can now do full-screen on Java 1.4 and above. On
Windows, this uses DirectX to enter what's called full-screen exclusive
mode - I'm not sure how it's handled on other operating systems. I chose
800x600x16bit at 70Hz because it's the smallest common resolution that's
large enough to display the entire applet. Interestingly, there's a
512x384 resolution available (at least on my hardware) which would
exactly match the resolution of the main coco screen minus the border
and control bar; maybe this will be a cool future option. Anyway,
full-screen exclusive mode is noticeably faster at displaying graphics.
Give it a try - I should note this is an experimental feature so use at
your own risk.

Other features...

Mocha now has the ability to undock from the web page so you don't have
to look at my awful HTML design. There's also a "quality audio" checkbox
for improved sound on most games. Performance of complex artifacting has
been greatly improved since early versions. Users of the signed applet
can also load their own .cas, .bin and .dsk files (read only). Floppy
disk emulation still needs some work but it's okay for most things (no
OS-9 yet). If anyone wants to write an improved FDC class, please let me
know!

Mocha - signed applet:
http://members.cox.net/javacoco/signedmocha.html

Mocha - standard applet: