make and friends was Re: [Coco] CCASM for Linux

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Dec 13 21:53:20 EST 2004

>From: KnudsenMJ at aol.com
>Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:24:18 EST

>I even seem to remember some useful tricks for the C compiler's macro
>preprocessor all by itself, on text jobs.  --Mike K.

Yeah, cpp is a good tool.  And one that tends to get "integrated" so
you can't do anything but C programs with it. :-( AFAIK the OS-9 C
compiler is about the only C compiler for 8-bit (or early 16-bit
micros) that has a seperate preprocessor.

A lot of the assembly in the linux kernel uses the C preprocessor,
instead of relying on the assemlber's own macro system (Does GAS even
have complex macros?)

I have to admit, though, for non-programming purposes, m4 is a little
more friendly.  If nothing else, it doesn't insert #line lines into
its output.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA