[Coco] CCASM for Linux

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Dec 13 18:22:57 EST 2004

On Dec 13, 2004, at 2:42 PM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> Wow -- you can run programs and real OS on a Playstation?  Can you
> actually
> get to the Linux OS yourself, or is it a hidden dedicated version that
>  simply
> plays the games you plug in?

Actually Sony sells a Linux kit for the PS2 which includes an ethernet
adapter, a 40 GB hard drive, a keyboard, and a mouse.  It is the real
thing and comes with extensive docs of the PS2 hardware.  Then there is
Black Rhino Linux which was developed by one of the firms making PS2
games.  Their games run under a hidden version of Linux, but it is
pretty easy to find their Linux system on the net.  It is a little
weird to start up, you boot off of the Linux DVD-ROM, which loads the
kernel off your memory card, which then starts the rest of the system
off the hard drive.  If you are really curious you can talk to me off
list about what you need to do to log into it from the net.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?