[Coco] [Color Computer] Anyone following the latest Microsoft and Linux debacles?

George H highplainsthumper at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 22:54:11 EST 2004

I'm just curious if anyone has followed the latest debacles of
Microsoft warning Asian Governments like Singapore with lawsuits over
proprietary rights in SCO Unix, because they went Linux instead of
Windows.

After reading the messages here on a creation of a joystick with built
in Commodore 64, it reminded me of those days of innovation when 8 bit
computers were well proliferated.

I got my start out of a Timex Sinclair TS1000 then a RS Color Computer
II.  Moved onto OS-9 and ADOS.

Then MS took the world by the storm with Windows 3.1 on a PC.  All
innovation started eroding.  MS dropped BASIC from their later Windows
systems.  Now MS is killing innovation with their WPA, which hinders
someone who continually likes to upgrade like me.  Solution?  Buy
another box of XP.  That's not a solution.

I am to the point I am about to trash my two copies of Windows XP and
upgrade to the latest Linux.  It just surprised me (but I shouldn't be
surprised) that MS is now trying to take down the Linux world.

As I did a search on available games for Linux, there are a few good
commercial ones out there.  As it gains more momentum, I'm hoping that
it gains further lead.

We may have prettier graphics in XP with the faster hardware, but I
still miss the days of innovation.  There has been nothing to
encourage innovation with MS such as bundled programming languages,
decent graphics editors, etc.

Enough of my ranting, hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas.

- George

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM