[Coco] Emulator problems

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 22:15:26 EDT 2004

> "Included in the zip is a Disk BASIC cartridge which will need to be
> inserted into a multi-pak slot before COCO disk can be accessed."
>
> Uh, this is an **emulator** here. How am I supposed to insert anything
> into a multipak slot?

Well, if you ever get it working, you'll see that one really cool aspect of
DK's emulator in particular is the graphical representation of the cassette,
disk drives and MPI. You have to insert a virtual disk controller into the
virtual MPI in order to get disk basic... this took me a while to figure out on
his CoCo2 emulator, but once I did I thought it made sense.

> Then it tells me to execute the file "COCO" well what folder is it in?
> Am I supposed to search around under DOS for this file, with the
> truncated and confusing directory names?

In the folder that you can't read apparently... bummer.

> I notice there is a file "rs405eng.exe" on the disc. rs might mean
> Radio Shack, but I'm not about to execute a file without documentation
> telling me to. And why is winamp206.exe on the disc also? What do I
> need winamp for? Is this a virus?

rs405end.exe is Acrobat Reader Setup, for the pdfs.
I suspect Winamp is included for two reasons...
1. There is a plugin which allows it to play ORC files (Orchestra 80/85/90
music files)
2. The plugin (available at trs-80.com) does not work with newer versions of
winamp.

I like Winamp better than Windows media player, even this older version.

Hope this sheds a little light on it. I will email you a zip of the CoCo3
emulator folder.

Bob