[Coco] Yet another hurricane.... cassette files

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Aug 30 19:34:23 EDT 2004

At 04:56 PM 8/30/2004, you wrote:

>    We have a new person at work.  I actually got to tell him that "my
>computer is older than you are" (he was born 1982).  Apparantly, the
>concept of storing data on a regular cassette tape is amazing to some
>people.  I couldn't help but tell him that cocos were alive and well, but
>now we save to CD instead of cassette -- but you can use a normal CD
>player (just as you could have used a normal (e.g.

Here's something even better than cassette.  Use a CD recorder or Mini-Disc
recorder to do the same through the cassette cable and you can double or
even quadruple the data rate.  That is, you can use the 2mhz mode and maybe
even shorten the wavelength in half as well.  I used to use the 2mhz mode
to play around and save/load CoCo files, with NEVER a problem.  There is no
dragging, no tone changes, and it won't get bit rot.  The only problem is
the motor control.  Now that you remind me, back in the 80's I experimented
with using a VCR as the device, but I created my own backup system.  The
video portion showed what file you were on.  The audio portion was a
custom/hacked job using my own waveform but using the BASIC ROM routines in
all-RAM mode to handle the formats.  It's amazing how many good experiments
went to total waste over the years.  That particular basement project was
too inconvenient to use everyday.