[Coco] Nitros and Drivewire question

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Sun Aug 29 09:25:42 EDT 2004

Jim,

You do not need the NitrOS ROM Kit to use DriveWire.  DriveWire comes
two ROM images that you can burn: one for the CoCo 3 motherboard ROM,
and the other for the CoCo 1/2 motherboard ROM.  These ROM images
contain "DriveWire DOS" which is a booter that takes over the CoCo and
requests sectors $264-$273 from DriveWire drive 0 (much like the DOS
command does).  DriveWire comes with NitrOS-9 images on the CD-ROM, so
all you have to do is link the server's drive 0 to one of these images
and your CoCo can boot instantly into NitrOS-9 each time.

If you can't burn a ROM, a floppy disk is provided with a special
NitrOS-9 boot track that has the DriveWire booter already on it.  Just
put the disk in your floppy drive and type DOS and the booter will take
over and boot NitrOS-9 from DriveWire.

Once in NitrOS-9, your /dd drive is the DriveWire drive 0 disk.  You
can then hook another disk image to drive 1 (/x1) and work from there.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com
Mobile: (337) 739-7584