[Coco] Re: Re: The CoCo Cafe meetings

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Fri Aug 27 17:17:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:14:52 -0400
  Rodney V Hamilton <Rodney_Hamilton at GBRonline.com> wrote:
>In article
><6.1.1.1.0.20040826224044.00ba8108 at pop.bayou.com>,
>rtaylor at bayou.com says...
>>
>>At 05:02 PM 8/26/2004, you wrote:
>>>A time stamp in front of each chat room entry would be
>>>fine...
>>
>>Working on it, but it's difficult to inter-adjust for
>>time zones and
>>daylight savings time, etc.  The different versions of
>>Javascript also have
>>differences, and some browsers have bugs in this area (so
>>I've been
>>reading).  The language I use (HLA) also doesn't have any
>>automatic time
>>zone calculation that I know of.
>>
>>Right now, I'm working on the meeting times and dealing
>>with time
>>zone/daylight savings time issues.  Can we say, "FUN" ??
>> :)
>
>Roger, my suggestion would be to ignore the users' time
>zones and
>just use UTC for now - it's the same for everyone across
>the globe.
>Based on last night's chat, I think hours & minutes would
>be
>sufficient.  Something like HHMM: user's text...
>
>-Rodney

Roger:

I agree with Rodney.  Just use UCT and keep it in HHMM
format.

Are you ready for another suggestioin?  How about giving
users an option to select that they are "Away" or
"Lurking" or "BRB"  I stayed logged in and then moved on
to another system only to come back and find someone was
trying to talk to me.  Now common sense would have been
for me to log off, but who needs common sense? :)

Jim