[Coco] I finally got Nitros 3.2.4 to work!

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Aug 25 22:31:45 EDT 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 9:07 PM, Frederick D Provoncha wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:16:13 -0500 Mark Marlette <mmarlett at isd.net>
> writes:
>> At 8/24/2004 10:46 PM -0600, you wrote:
>>
>> Fred,
>>
>> Cloud-9 Lab North sent you the disks and they were verified here
>> before I
>> sent them. Sounds like you have hardware issues.
>
> Yes, I totally agree with you. I believe there is nothing wrong with
> the
> disks you guys sent me at all. I also think it is a hardware problem.
> My
> Coco can't seem to read any 1440-sector floppy disks properly,
> regardless
> of where they came from. I'm not sure why or how though. I'm not so
> worried about that problem right now though. I'm just happy I was able
> get access to a working boot disk image using Drivewire. That product
> has
> really come in handy! My goal right now is to get NitrOS-9 3.2.4 fully
> configured on my hard drive.

Fred,

It sounds like you have an alignment issue with your drives, since you
can read those disks formatted on the drive but not on others.

> Okay, I tried the scripts, but the scripts only create a boot disk that
> enables NitrOS-9 to boot from a floppy. After looking over the scripts,
> it's still not clear to me how to modify them to create a boot disk
> that
> enables NitrOS-9 to boot from Drive 255 of the RGB-DOS partition of my
> hard drive. I also still haven't figured out how to modify the scripts
> get the hi-res joystick interface to work. Anyone know? Thanks for your
> help. I'm so excited to have NitrOS-9 3.2.4 actually running!

I recommend copying the mb script to mb.hdb, then edit mb.hdb and
change boot_1773_6ms to the name of the SCSI boot module.

Before running the script, use dmode to set d0 (or d1) to a single
sided 35 track disk:

dmode /d0 sid=1 cyl=35

Then run the mb.hdb script.  Once the disk has been created, go into
RGB-DOS and BACKUP 0 (or 1) TO 255.

Run the LINK.BAS program to link the bootfile copied onto drive 255.
Then DOS 255.  Assuming your bootfile is set up correctly, it should
work.

As far as the hi-res joystick not working, I don't know about that.
Frankly it should.  What test are you using to determine that it is not
working?

Boisy