[Coco] Re: again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 23 13:51:42 EDT 2004

Charlie

One thing I stated at the beginning of this thread. The CM8 is
basically a color TV set that is pressed into RGB monitor service.
The GIME chip is a basic functional VDU. It has no accelleration or
dithering. It is a simple plain jane VDU with some graphic
capabilities.

To have made the graphics better would have required a pixel clock
twice what the GIME ship uses and also would have required the
COCO 3 to have 70nS ram installed instead of the 150nS ram. All
back then were major cost adders for a machine that was under
$400. Back in 1986 512K of 80nS ram in 256Kx1 density was not
cheap.

james