[Coco] LCD panel

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 23:44:24 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/20/04 6:30:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdaggett at gate.net writes:

> You can use a controller chip like the Oki MSM6255 or equivalent.
>  Single chip, plus some gluelogic, and crystal interfaced to a
>  microprocessor buss.

Is that Oki chip as fast as a 6502 or 6809 would be?  How fast a clock?
Still, your 6809 or whatever CPU has to get the data out to the Oki
controller to put into the LCD.  Or could youbuild a system whereby the Oki got the
odd-numbered clocks to do video RAM access, just like the Coco's graphics?

>  The neat thing with this panel is that you can write to the upper and
>  lower half at the same time.

Different data, I hope.  Using the upper and lower nybbles of each data byte?
 I need to go study the spec sheet with its logic and timing diagrams, though
it clearly was not written by native-born English speakers.  Thanks, Mike K.