[Coco] 3.5" drives

James C. Hrubik, Sr. jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 20 21:33:34 EDT 2004

James, you should be able to add the 3.5 in place of the single-sided
drive.  Most of the 3.5s are hardwired as "A" drives, and if your
double-sided 5.25 is jumpered as "B" or D2, you should be good to go.
RSDOS will see the 3.5 as a 35 track single-sided drive.  OS9 will use
everything available.  OR, if you don't mind the way it looks, and can
manipulate the jumpers, you could have a 5.25 SS, 5.25 DS, and 3.5 on
the system.  I've run 3 drives temporarily (it's ugly to look at!) with
the case open for setting up new OS9 boot disks.  Watch the cabling,
though.  And you'll want DSDD disks for the 3.5 (but you can fake it
for a while using tape on the HD disks).

On Friday, August 20, 2004, at 11:14  AM, James Dessart wrote:

> I'm interested in putting a 3.5" drive on my CoCo, since 3.5" floppies
> are
> still available in stores, and I do have a couple of Macs that can
> read/write to them (even in PC format).
>
> My current setup is an SCII, with two 5.25" drives in the FD-501 case
> (sold or traded the controller long ago). One is the original
> single-sided
> drive, and the other is a double sided drive.
>
> What I'd like to have is the double sided 5.25" and add a 3.5" to the
> system, getting rid of the single-sided drive. Will this work with
> RS-DOS?
> And what would I have to do to get it working in OS-9? Could I use high
> density diskettes? Would I be able to read MSDOS FAT formatted
> diskettes
> from OS-9? Would I need to make any hardware changes?
>
> I have an order for DriveWire placed, so that'll maybe alleviate my
> desire
> to do this... :)
>
> James

| O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand                |
| Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!         |
| Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heaven-rescued land   |
| Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a Nation!  |
| Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just;            |
| And this be our motto: "In GOD is our trust!"               |
| And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave          |
| O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.        |
==========National Anthem, United States of America============