[Coco] 3.5" drives

Rob bester at mchsi.com
Fri Aug 20 17:38:44 EDT 2004

I've got my Coco in storage, so I can't pull any specifics.

Some years ago, I bought an expansion drive for one of the Tandy 1000. (SX?)
I successfully grafted this onto my FD501. I think this was just a standard
720K 3.5" drive, Double Sided, and mounted in a case with nothing but a
cable. I don't know why I did it, (It was an expensive floppy) but it
worked.

I simply made a cable that plugged into the cabinet and ran to the external
drive. Nothing special, but I do recall that I had to make the pinout match
and bring 5v and 12v to it. (I can't remember how I handled addressing.) I
suspect that to do the same with a regular drive, you'd have to make your
own adapter cables and mount it in the cabinet.

RSDOS treated it just the same as the 5.25" drive. No extra storage, and
single sided.

OS-9, however, was able to make use of the drive. As I recall, I had to
change my OS-9 boot disk to inform it of the specifications of the drive,
but it gave me 720k storage on one disk.

I never tried to read an MS-DOS disk, so I couldn't answer to that.

I don't recall the size of the King's Quest game that was sold, but I
managed to condense all of the disks down to just one disk.

Rob