[Coco] 6809 VHDL cores

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Fri Aug 20 14:28:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> By portable I mean from various different FPGA vendors and/or to
> ASIC itself. You can make the code specific to a particular FPGA
> and improve gate efficiency. There is nothing wrong in doing that.
> You just have to realize that if you wish to port ot another vendors
> FPGA device.

I knew that's what you meant. :) so my question was more along the lines
of "What are the comparative benefits of the various low-end
manufacturers?" From my point of view, it's whoever's stuff has better
support from open source programming tools, and Mac binaries for those
(hopefully, sometimes building from source is a royal pain in the butt!)

As well as compatible hardware, such as serial or USB programmers, and
drivers for the latter, or whether or not I'm willing to spend money on a
parallel port to USB adaptor, and whether or not the drivers for the
adaptor support using it via POSIX open/read/write.

I imagine from your perspective, the benefits of one over the other are
entirely different. :)

> If and  when I get onto the chat I will know that I can't use JamesD.
> :)

Right-o then! :)

James