[Coco] was: CoCo RGB to VGA [...]

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 10:10:26 EDT 2004

> Wow, looks like I started a very big thread :-). Thanks for the
> discussion (although noone commented the information given at
> http://www.2k1.co.uk/products/averlogic/www1/AL250/ e.g. the complete
> almost "CoCo ready" design at
> http://www.2k1.co.uk/products/averlogic/www1/AL250/AL875_250.pdf nor the
> data sheets at http://www.averlogic.com/password/AL875_Data_Sheets.PDF
> and http://www.averlogic.com/password/AL250_251_Data_Sheets.PDF )
> <snip>
> This means the AL250 device might be to "sophisticated" for what we
> need.

Well, for the cost I don't think it's too sophistacated.
I've been thinking about the exact same chips for this
purpose for a while.

Actually, the AL250 would mean it's trivial to add a
decoder (ie. SA7880) module so that not only would
we get the RGBA input, but composite/RF as well.
(I LIKE my artifact colors!)
Hopefully the modules could be purchased separately.

In fact, the more I think about it... I imagine a Base
unit with RGB-A functionallity and/or the ability to
add modules to it for a specific machine... then you
make modules (sold separately) for RF inputs (maybe
include a TV tuner), CGA/EGA module, Amiga module,
X-box module, whatever. The module takes the place of
custom cabling. Maybe 2 or 3 modules could be plugged
in at once, switchable.

Price the base units at around $50 (if possible, much
over that and you're out of the hobbyist/retro market)
maybe $10-$15 per module ($20-25 for the tuner/RF mod)

I think it's doable, and I think the retro market in
particular is chomping at the bit, waiting for someone
to develop the right (inexpensive) video adapter.

Bob