[Coco] MacMESS

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Thu Aug 19 19:26:35 EDT 2004

On 19-Aug-04, at 6:13 PM, <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> Space is a big issue.  The emulator should be the natural solution,
> but JeffV's never worked fast enough for me to use, and now I'm on a
> Mac and can't figure out how to get MESS running well enough to use.
> A real CoCo would be ideal.  But I haven't had a CRT computer since my
> 1999 iMac DV (which was still tiny -- all in one, "monitor" with a
> keyboard and mouse and that was it).  My iMac from 2001 is flat panel
> and now I'm hooked on that idea.

I've been using MacMESS without trouble. I'm using 0.7.0 (it seems to
be reporting as 0.66 though). The main trouble is that you have to drag
the ROM file onto MESS to get it to boot. I use a zipped one I found
somewhere, and don't feel bad using since I have a CoCo 3.

The cocotools from the NitrOS-9 project work perfectly for getting
things onto dsk images, and then in MESS you have to use the command
keys to access anything... it's cmd-option-o to get the disk and tape
image dialog up. That's pretty straightforward, though.

If you have any troubles, feel free to let me know. I use it pretty
frequently when I'm testing gcc for the CoCo.

James