[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Thu Aug 19 16:49:57 EDT 2004

>One of th emajor casues for the Blockiness is that the CM8 uses
>0.52 mm pitch pixels. Most modern monitors are now between 0.24
>and 0.28 mm Pitch pixels. The CM8 has "BIG PIXELS" and big
>pixels and low resolution leads to blockiness.

The CM-8 has blurry pixels. This makes the pixel look larger than what is
should be but it still has a rounded look. It actually makes graphics look
better but 80 column text is a writeoff.

If the CM-8 was of higher dot pitch (Like an Amiga Monitor), the blurring is
reduced and hence the size of the pixel and 80 column text is far better.

A VGA has the better dot pitch but it's the conversion from 225 scanlines to
450 that makes the pixels double height that leads to the blockiness. It's
not unbearable, it's just good to be aware that there will be an increased
blockiness (but benefit in sharpness over a CM-8).

Having said all this, finding a good Amiga monitor is getting harder and the
ability to use a VGA is probably a forced option anyway. I've been able to
find good Amiga monitors at some thrift stores or in the local classifieds
of the newspaper for $5-$10...which is probably far cheaper than any VGA
conversion hardware.

Nick