[Coco] Script errors (was: coco chat)

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Aug 18 02:44:03 EDT 2004

At 11:13 PM 8/17/2004, you wrote:
>Has everyone else noticed that when surfing the Web, almost half the sites
>cause script errors?  I have my browser set to notify me when a (Java?)
>script
>error occurs, and ask my permission to continue that script.

I think one cause of server-side script errors is because the server
condition is highly unpredictable, especially a shared server with 255 web
sites.  With Javascript that runs from the client-side on the web pages,
I'm not sure why an error would occur unless it's a newer version of js
running on a browser that can't interpret it correctly.

>I get mostly "Not an object" (sounds like Java to me) and "Undefined" errors.
>These are just when first opening the page, not trying to do anything fancy
>like put a product in my "shopping cart".

An object in Javascript can be anything since it's an object-oriented
language.  I'm still baffled at why Netscape 3.0 is telling me that the
form doesn't exist in my chat pages when I try to do a focus on the message
field.    Maybe 3.0 says it all.  :)  I'd like to know if anybody's modern
version of Netscape is reporting the same thing on the coco3.com chat
system.  Internet Explorer/MSN Explorer does have this problem.  Mozilla
doesn't report the error, but refuses to focus the caret/cursor on the text
field, either.  I'm using the simplest of code for focusing on a form
field.  It's terribly simple and defined in all the books.