[Coco] coco chat

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Aug 18 00:13:21 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/17/04 10:32:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rtaylor at bayou.com writes:

> Actually, Java and Javascript are two totally different beasts.  But I see
>  you did say, "Java script" which could be taken as a script program
written
>  in Java, which is still not the same as Javascript that's embedded in web
>  pages.  I have a Javascript book that mentions something about why and how
>  these two similar-named systems, that have NOTHING to do with each other,
>  managed to emerge about the same time with almost the same name, etc.

Interesting.  "Java" is, I understand, usable as a free-standing programming
language just like C or C++.  In fact, it is sort of a cleaned-up C++.
However, it seems to be used only for programming Web services.

Maybe the "Javascript" interpreter in IE is written in Java?
If the "Javascript" that downloads from Web pages isn't Java, it at least
seems to be object-oriented, according to the error messages I get from half the
pages I visit.

Then there's the cryptic, IBM 1401-like language that cookies and the like
are coded in.  I wonder if anyone in this hemisphere understands that?  --Mike K.