[Coco] Re: archive posted - PC<->CoCo RS232 info

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Aug 16 07:44:32 EDT 2004

Robert Emery wrote:

> Anyway, it looks like the CD line at the CoCo end is the one left hanging. I
> have another diagram for connecting to a modem which shows CD connected to pins
> 20, 6 and 8 of a db25.

If that is intended for a null modem connection to a terminal or another
computer, then that is the correct wiring.

If that is intended for a connection to an external modem, then the
wiring is incorrect, and only pin 6 (DSR) of the modem should be
connected to the CD pin of the COCO, otherwise you have multiple outputs
shorted together, and that could be bad for the modem.

The modem will likely require pin20 also be connected to pin6 as it is
not supposed to allow an outgoing connection with out it seeing a DTE
signal.  See CCIT specifications.

It may be possible to OR the CD and DSR signals together with some
isolation hardware, but for the purpose of the COCO, the DSR line is
probably good enough.

The BASIC ROM definitely requires the CD line to be asserted, or it will
not output more than one character, and then the I/O will hang waiting
for it.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only