[Coco] Re: archive posted - PC<->CoCo RS232 info

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 00:09:54 EDT 2004

--- "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.net> wrote:
> > maintain the information. I saved what I could and have finally got it all
> > updated and posted to my geocities account. Here's the link:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/PaulDpages/index.html
>
> I have a problem with the information on the pages, as the COCO bit
> banger port has 3 signal lines and a ground.
>
> It has a read data, xmit data, DCD/CTS/DSR connection and a signal ground.
>
> The ROM routines require a the signal line DCD/CTS/DSR line to be
> asserted, or they would only output one character, and the internal
> DLOAD command reads off of the read signal.
><snip>
> I would have to dig up my COCO documentation to see what line has been
> left off.  My guess is that these arrangements are using the DCD/CTS/DSR
> line as the received data line.

I haven't tried building these cables yet, but I am working in that direction.
Currently I'm making a cable to connect to an external modem... then my plans
for world dominatio... I mean, uh... if I can get this modem working, I plan to
offer a CoCo dial-up connection (not quite a bbs) for distributing files to
other modem equipped CoCos... to assist those having file-transfer
difficulties.

Anyway, it looks like the CD line at the CoCo end is the one left hanging. I
have another diagram for connecting to a modem which shows CD connected to pins
20, 6 and 8 of a db25.

Bob Emery