[Coco] Info on Gshell wanted

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Sun Aug 15 17:50:18 EDT 2004

Boisy write...

The latest version of gshell (with source) is in the NitrOS-9 Project.
You can browse the multivue directory at:
http://cvs.nitros9.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/3rdparty/packages/multivue/

 From the www.nitros9.org web page there's also the nightly CVS snapshot
that you can download off the main page.  The source is there too.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to download the snapshot,
bust up the archive and start learning the tree structure of the
project.

Nick replies...

I had a look and I obviously need to learn more about OS-9 before I know
what I am doing.

I can see why so many people were off put by OS-9. It may make programming
and updating of software easier but getting to that stage takes a long time
to understand it all, especially to a stage where one could write commercial
grade software.

Hopefully, as I learn more, it will get easier but so far, developing under
RS-DOS was waaay easier for me. I'm not critisizing, just stateing my
observations so far.

Developing under OS-9 (and I'm sure Unix and Linux are the same), it feels
like I'm trying to get something going within a large corporation. Anyone
who has tried this will understand the red tape, heirarchy and beurocracy
that has to be crossed before one gets even a small job passed.

RS-DOS development seems more like a small company where one has more
control and can get their ideas through with minimal resistance.

But...I will persist a bit longer.    :)

Nick